There are plenty of ways to customize this salad. You can make it half-tomato and half-cucumber, all cucumber or tomato, or any proportion you like, depending on what you have on hand. Use any type of vinegar, but I recommend the ones listed below. Finally, choose whatever herb best complements the dinner, though parsley goes well with almost anything you serve.
Yields 4 servings.
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, sherry vinegar, or white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups quartered and sliced cucumbers
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 small red onion or 3 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs of choice
In a salad bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Add the cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, and herbs, and gently toss. Taste, and adjust seasoning as desired. Serve immediately.
Check out more cucumber salad recipes here.
Andrea Chesman has written more than 20 cookbooks. She gives cooking demonstrations at events across the United States.