This pesto combines classic basil flavor with a few flavorful twists.
Basil Pesto With a Twist
• 2 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves
• 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh lime or lemon basil leaves
• 1/4 cup pine nuts
• 1/4 cup chopped pecans
• 2 large cloves garlic, peeled
• 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or pecorino cheese
• 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Combine basils, pine nuts, pecans, garlic and cheese in food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
2. With machine running, slowly add olive oil, and continue to process to fine paste.
3. Season with salt and pepper, and serve. Refrigerate extra, or freeze excess in ice cube trays. Once frozen, pop the pesto cubes out and store them in an airtight freezer bag.
Looking for additional basil information? Read Learn How to Grow Basil.