This is one of our favorite breads – easy to make, and so delicious with a salad or soup. Try it and enjoy!
French Bread from One Ash Farm Recipes
1 1/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast (buy yeast in bulk here)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
3 cups flour
1 egg, beaten, for egg wash
Cornmeal (to sprinkle on pan) (buy cornmeal in bulk here)
1. Whisk together water, yeast and sugar until dissolved. Add salt and flour; mix thoroughly. (Dough should not be too sticky, add some more flour if needed.)
2. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead for 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Place in bowl, cover with kitchen towel and leave to rise for 30 minutes.
4. Return dough to floured surface, and divide into two parts. Roll each part into rectangle about the size of a piece of paper (8 1/2 by 11 inches). Roll out each piece of dough, sealing seam and pinching/poking in ends.
5. Lightly grease baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with cornmeal. Place both rolled up loaves on baking sheet and leave to rise for another 30 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 375 F. Brush each loaf with egg wash and slash tops in 4 places with serrated knife.
7. Bake for 20 minutes and cool prior to slicing.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on modern homesteading, animal husbandry, gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE