Never-Fail Divinity Candy
• 2 cups granulated sugar
• 1/2 cup light corn syrup
• 1/2 cup hot water
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2 large egg whites
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
2. In 3-quart saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, water and salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Remove cover and cook, stirring occasionally, to hard ball stage (260 F/125 C), or until a small amount of mixture is dropped into cold water and forms a ball that holds its shape but is pliable.
3. Meanwhile, in large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually pour hot syrup in small stream into egg whites, while continuing to beat. Add vanilla and continue beating until mixture holds its shape when dropped from spoon. Fold in nuts, if using.
4. Drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper, and cool. Or, pour into prepared pan, cool, and then invert pan, peel off wax paper and cut into squares.
Interested in some more special treats for Thanksgiving and Christmas? Whip up some of the homemade delights featured in Recipe Box: Holiday Candy Recipes.
Associate Editor Jean Teller is sure she’s not the only one to consider the candy and desserts one of the best – and certainly the most tasty – parts of the holiday season.