Deer Heart Salad Recipe
Just like cold chicken, deer heart leftovers can be added to a fresh garden salad for a protein boost.
- Fresh spinach
- Cucumber, peeled and sliced
- Carrot, grated
- 6 or so small slices precooked deer heart
- Cherry tomatoes
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Honey mustard dressing
- Place spinach in serving bowl. Top with cucumber slices and grated carrot.
- Arrange heart slices and cherry tomatoes on salad as desired.
- Sprinkle grated cheddar cheese on top, and serve with dressing.
The quantities for this salad will depend on your preferences. You can also use other vegetables, dried cranberries, croutons, boiled eggs, walnuts, or sunflower seeds. French and Catalina salad dressings also work well with this dish.
If this recipe whetted your appetite, click the link to find out more about the Do’s and Don’ts of Cooking with Deer Heart.
Bruce and Elaine Ingram are the authors of Living the Locavore Lifestyle, a book about hunting, fishing, and gathering food (with recipes). Contact them at BruceIngramOutdoors@gmail.com.