Deer Heart Salad Recipe
The quantities for this salad will depend on your preferences. You can also use other vegetables, dried cranberries, croutons, boiled eggs, walnuts, or sunflower seeds. French and Catalina salad dressings also work well with this dish.
Yield: 1 serving.
- Fresh spinach
- Cucumber, peeled and sliced
- Carrot, grated
- 6 or so small slices precooked deer heart
- Cherry tomatoes
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Honey mustard dressing
1. Place spinach in serving bowl. Top with cucumber slices and grated carrot.
2. Arrange heart slices and cherry tomatoes on salad as desired.
3. Sprinkle grated cheddar cheese on top, and serve with dressing.
If this recipe whetted your appetite, click the link to find out more about the Do’s and Don’ts of Cooking with Deer Heart.
Bruce and Elaine Ingram are the authors of Living the Locavore Lifestyle, a book about hunting, fishing, and gathering food (with recipes). Contact them at BruceIngramOutdoors@Gmail.com.
Butterscotch Pie Recipe with a Lard Crust
Use lard to make the perfect pie crust for a sweet butterscotch meringue pie.
Mulberry Muffins Recipe
Try these delicious and easy-to-make mulberry muffins, whether for breakfast or a snack.
Mulberry Scones Recipe
Make these easy and flavorful scones bursting with mulberries.