Creamy Wild Rice and Chicken Soup
A quick and simple meal the whole family is sure to love.
by Valerie Boese
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped carrots
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup cream
- Crusty bread or crumbled bacon, for garnish
- In a stockpot, heat oil on medium-low. Add celery, carrot, and onion. Sauté 5 to 8 minutes, stirring regularly, until vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken, chicken broth, and white wine to pot. Cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cooked rice and broccoli, and simmer for 5 more minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to low, and add cream. Cook gently on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with crusty bread or bacon bits.
For more Seasonal Soup Recipes, check out Winter Soups to Warm You Up.
Valerie Boese is a fourth-generation chicken keeper, and the owner of TarBox Hollow Poultry.