Photo by Valerie Boese
This salad makes a great lunch for those times when you want a lighter meal with tantalizing flavors. It’s a harmonious blend of crisp greens, crunchy walnuts, sweet apples, and tangy blue cheese.
Yield: 4 servings.
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- Dash hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed rosemary leaves
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 pound raw chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons canola oil or corn oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider or 100 percent apple juice
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash black pepper
- 8 cups mixed fresh greens
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup English walnuts or pecans
- 1 cup dried apple chips
- 2 tablespoons fresh-snipped parsley
1. In a small bowl, mix together vinegar, apple juice, and hot sauce. Add sugar, paprika, rosemary, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, and basil. Mix well, and pour over chicken. Let chicken marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour or more.
2. While chicken is marinating, make salad dressing by combining oil, apple cider, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper in a pint Mason jar. Tighten lid on jar, and then shake to mix thoroughly. Place in refrigerator to chill.
3. Preheat oven to 350 F.
4. Place chicken on a nonstick cookie sheet. Bake 25 to 35 minutes, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 F. Let chicken cool, and then cut into 1/2-inch strips. Alternatively, cook chicken on grill.
5. Divide greens evenly among 4 large salad or dinner plates. Top with tomato, red onions, blue cheese crumbles, and English walnuts. Add cooled chicken strips, and then drizzle salad dressing over chicken and greens. Garnish with apple chips and parsley.
Check out more delicious chicken recipes here!
Valerie Boese is a fourth-generation chicken keeper, and the owner of TarBox Hollow Poultry in Nebraska.