One Pot of the Day (Weldon Owen, 2012) by Kate McMillan offers simple, delicious one-dish meals for every day of the year. The following excerpt is McMillan's Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe.
• 3 sprigs fresh thyme
• 5 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
• 3 1⁄2 to 4 pounds corned beef brisket
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 teaspoon peppercorns
• 12 white boiling onions, or 3 small white onions cut into wedges
• 6 large carrots, cut into large chunks, or 12 small whole carrots
• 2 pound small red-skinned
• 1 small head green cabbage, cut into 6 into 8 wedges
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
• Salt to taste
1. Tie thyme and parsley sprigs together with kitchen string. Rinse brisket, place in large, heavy pot, and add water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, skimming off any foam from surface. Add herb bundle, bay leaves, and peppercorns. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer gently until brisket is almost tender, 2 1⁄2 to 3 hours.
2. Add onions, carrots, potatoes, and cabbage wedges, and return to simmer. Cook until vegetables and brisket are fully tender, about 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in small bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Fold in horseradish, and season with salt. Cover and refrigerate horseradish-cream mixture until ready to serve.
4. Using slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to a large platter. Transfer brisket to a cutting board. Cut meat across grain and arrange on platter with vegetables. Serve alongside horseradish cream.
NOTE: If you prefer, plan ahead and corn your own brisket. In a bowl, combine 8 cups water, 1 1⁄2 cups kosher salt, 1⁄2 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons pickling spices, and 3 cloves garlic, crushed. Stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. Submerge one 4-pound brisket in mixture, cover, and refrigerate for 5 to 8 days. Remove brisket, rinse well under cold water, and proceed with recipe.
More from One Pot of the Day:
Reprinted with permission from One Pot of the Day: 365 Recipes for Every Day of the Year by Kate McMillan and published by Weldon Owen © 2012.