30 Minute One-Pot Meals ( Page Street Publishing, 2016) by Joanna Cismaru shows you that half an hour and one pot is all it takes to create a delicious, minimal-mess meal. The following excerpt is Cismaru's Cinnamon Spice Apple Crisp Recipe.
• 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
• 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
• 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
• 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
• 1 1⁄2 pound apples, peeled, cored and sliced
• 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 1⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, for serving
1. Preheat the oven 450 F.
2. Prepare crumble topping: combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and chopped walnuts. Stir in melted butter; it will form into crumbs. Set aside.
3. Prepare apple filling: place apple, lemon juice, maple syrup, and cinnamon in a large, ovenproof skillet. Stirring occasionally, sauté for 10 minutes over medium heat, or until apples soften.
4. Sprinkle crumble topping evenly over apples. Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until topping turns golden brown.
5. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
NOTE: Apples are sautéed first with lemon juice and maple syrup to get rid of excess moisture, and for richer flavor. Make sure apples are not sliced too thinly or they will get mushy and not hold their shape.
More from 30-Minute One-Pot Meals:
Reprinted with permission from 30-Minute One-Pot Meals: Feed Your Family Incredible Food in Less Time and With Less Cleanup by Joanna Cismaru and published by Page Street Publishing © 2016.