Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Cake With Strawberry Jam Frosting
Use homemade strawberry jam in the frosting if possible. If not, store-bought will work, but choose an all-fruit or low-sugar variety as the extra sweetness isn’t needed.
• 1-1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
• 1 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup cocoa powder
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 cup butter, melted
• 2 eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 cup milk
• 2 cups strawberries, halved or quartered (about 10 ounces by weight)
• 1/4 cup butter, softened
• 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
• 1/3 cup strawberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease 9-inch square cake pan; set aside.
2. In large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa and baking powder; set aside.
3. In small bowl, whisk together butter, eggs, vanilla and milk. Pour into dry ingredients and stir until almost combined. Fold in strawberries, and gently mix until thoroughly combined.
4. Pour into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
5. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until tester inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely in pan on wire rack before frosting.
6. In mixing bowl, cream together butter and confectioners’ sugar. Add jam and mix until thick and spreadable. Frost cooled cake.
Need more chocolate? Check out Chocolate Dessert Recipes for All Tastes.
Kathie N. Lapcevic is a writer and teacher who specializes in garden, food and recipe creation. She blogs at Homespun Seasonal Living and, when not working, can be found playing in the great outdoors of northwest Montana.