40 min DURATION
25 min COOK TIME
15 min PREP TIME
8 servings SERVINGS
1 cup whole milk
To Make Steaks:In medium bowl, whisk together milk and eggs; set aside.
- In shallow pan, combine flour, salt, paprika, cayenne, cumin and black pepper, and whisk to blend.
- Pat steaks dry with paper towel. One at a time, dredge steaks in flour mixture, and lightly shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture, coating both sides, then dip in flour mixture again, coating both sides thoroughly. Lightly shake off excess flour mixture, and place on clean plate. Repeat with remaining steaks.
- Heat 1⁄2 inch oil in large, deep cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot. (Test if oil is hot by dripping a few drops of water into the oil. If it sizzles quickly, it’s ready.) Using metal tongs, carefully place two to three steaks in pan, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until bottoms are brown. Flip with tongs, and cook other side for 3 to 5 minutes, or until steaks are cooked through and coating is golden. Transfer to cooling rack, which has been placed on cookie sheet, and keep warm in oven set at 200 F. until ready to serve.
To Make Gravy:
- Discard all but 1⁄4 cup drippings from skillet. Heat over medium heat until drippings are hot. Sprinkle flour over drippings, and whisk quickly to create a roux. Cook, whisking constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Continue whisking and cooking for 8 to 10 minutes, or until gravy thickens. Remove from heat, and continue whisking for a few more minutes. If gravy is too thick, add a little additional milk, a tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached. Taste, and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve steak and gravy with mashed potatoes, if desired.
Try more comfort food recipes with Country Cooking Classics: Chicken Fried Steak and More.
Try GRIT’s editors’ picks with our Chicken Fried Steak with Gravy Recipe.