Chicken and Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe
- 1 tablespoon corn oil or other cooking oil
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken legs or thighs
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Dash black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chicken base bouillon or 6 chicken bouillon cubes
- 4 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- In a large pot, heat cooking oil over medium heat. Add celery and onion, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add chicken, broth, thyme, bay leaf, parsley, salt, pepper, and bouillon. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove chicken to cool, and set broth aside. Remove skin and bones from chicken and discard.
- Layer chicken in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Top chicken with mixed vegetables and potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Add 5 cups reserved broth to a large pot over medium heat. When broth reaches a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Add 1/2 cup flour to 1 cup reserved cold chicken broth, and mix well with a wire whip. Slowly add cold broth mixture to hot broth, using a fork or wire whip to blend, keeping the liquid free of clumps. Cook for about 8 minutes, or until broth thickens. Pour thickened broth over chicken and vegetables.
- Place chicken mixture in oven to bake for 40 minutes. While chicken mixture is baking, make biscuits:
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix well. Add coconut oil, and cut into flour mixture using a fork to achieve rice-sized crumbles. Add buttermilk, and mix with a large spoon until well-combined.
- Dump dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead with hands 8 to 10 times to form a large ball; don’t overwork dough.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to 1/2 inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter or small cup to cut out circles.
- Once chicken mixture has cooked for 40 minutes, turn oven up to 400 F. Remove dish from oven and top with cut biscuits, spacing them evenly on top of chicken mixture. Bake for additional 12 to 15 minutes, or until biscuits turn golden-brown.
Chicken and biscuits is the ultimate comfort food on a cool, rainy day. It’ll satisfy the hungriest appetite, and leave your family wishing for more dreary weather.
Check out more delicious chicken recipes here!
Valerie Boese is a fourth-generation chicken keeper, and the owner of TarBox Hollow Poultry in Nebraska.