- 1 broiler chicken, dressed and cut into 8 pieces (3 to 5 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons lard, cold and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup milk
- Place chicken pieces in large saucepan with enough water to cover and add pepper and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cover and simmer until chicken is tender, about 1 hour.
- To prepare dumplings, combine flour, baking powder and remaining salt in large bowl.
- Using pastry blender or fork, cut in lard until mixture resembles coarse crumbles.
- Add milk, 1/4 cup at a time, and mix until soft dough forms; set aside.
- When chicken is fully cooked and no longer pink at bone, transfer to cutting board. Remove skin, shred chicken, and discard or set bones aside for later use.
- Return shredded chicken to pot. Bring stew to boiling.
- Drop dough by teaspoonfuls into pot.
- Cover pot and boil for 12 minutes, or until dumplings have doubled in size.
- Serve immediately.
Nothing warms up a cold day like an Easy Chicken and Dumplings Recipe. This classic country recipe is as simple as it is tasty.