Chef Laura’s Grilled Deer Heart Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dry red wine or red balsamic vinegar
- 1 large clove garlic, minced, or 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 venison heart
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine olive oil, wine, garlic, onion powder, and oregano in a marinating bowl.
- Slice heart into 1/2-inch-thick rounds, and immerse in marinade.
- Cover, and let marinate in a refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, or up to 2 days.
- Grill meat over high heat, uncovered, for about 5 minutes. Flip, and cook for another 5 minutes, or until meat is just slightly more than medium rare (about 135). Don’t overcook, or the meat will lose its tenderness.
- Remove from grill, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, or use in salad or fajitas.
If you plan to use grilled deer heart in fajitas, be careful not to overheat the meat. Refrigerate any leftovers, which you can later cut into bite-sized pieces for salad.
If this recipe whetted your appetite, click the link to find out more about the Do’s and Don’ts of Cooking with Deer Heart.
Bruce and Elaine Ingram are the authors of Living the Locavore Lifestyle, a book about hunting, fishing, and gathering food (with recipes). Contact them at BruceIngramOutdoors@Gmail.com.