Cheesy Corn Quiche Recipe
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1⁄2 cup ice water, more or less
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups whole-kernel sweet corn, cut from cobs (about 4 ears)
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika or cayenne
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced cilantro, to taste
- In bowl of food processor, combine cornmeal, flour and salt, and pulse to mix. Add butter, and process for about 20 seconds, or until mixture is crumbly. With machine running, add ice water, a little at a time, stopping when mixture just sticks together and forms dough.
- Dump dough out onto a sheet of wax paper and gather up in a ball. Transfer dough to plastic wrap, and flatten slightly. Wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place 10-inch cast-iron skillet in lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and roll out to fit skillet. Place crust in hot skillet and carefully crimp edges with fork.
- Sprinkle half the cheese over unbaked crust. Top with corn and onion.
- In small bowl, beat eggs with half-and-half, sea salt, paprika, cilantro and remaining cheese. Pour over ingredients on crust.
- Bake in lower third of oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 F and continue baking for another 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes before serving. Promptly transfer any leftovers to another dish that is not cast iron.