Cheesy Broccoli Soup
Yields 6 servings.
Note: You can substitute cauliflower for the broccoli.
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 stalk celery, chopped finely
- 2 cups chopped broccoli, raw or frozen
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Crackers, for garnish
- In a stockpot, bring chicken broth, carrots, and celery to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 4 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Add broccoli, and cook for an additional 3 minutes, or until broccoli is tender. Reduce heat to low.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and milk until smooth. Pour the flour and milk mixture into the soup, and stir to combine. Cover, and cook on low for 10 minutes, or until soup thickens. Don’t let the soup boil or the milk will scald. Stir in cheese and parsley, and cook for 3 more minutes, or until cheese is melted. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with crumbled crackers and shredded cheddar cheese.
For more Seasonal Soup Recipes, check out Winter Soups to Warm You Up.
Valerie Boese is a fourth-generation chicken keeper, and the owner of TarBox Hollow Poultry.
Persimmons: Sweet as Pie
Plant persimmon trees in zones 4 to 9 and harvest sweet fruit for delicious recipes of cupcakes, custard pies, sweet breads, iced cookies.
Leavened and Unleavened Flatbread with Recipes
Learn the history behind flatbread and try your hands at making leavened and unleavened fresh flatbread recipes in no time.
Red Fife Double Chocolate Cookies
Sift red fife heritage wheat flour before measuring to ensure the correct amount and air is incorporating into the double chocolate cookies.