Inspired by my mom's famous carrot cake, I came up with this yummy, carrot cake, fruit leather recipe. It's got the sweetness, spice, and textures of a classic carrot cake without all the calories, and it's totally transportable. It's a great snack and a great gift. Your house will smell fantastic, too!
Carrot Cake Fruit Leather Recipe:
Prep: 20 min
Dehydrator Time: 8-12 hours (depending on your machine or if you use your oven instead)
• 1 20oz can crushed pineapple
• 1 cup steamed and pureed carrots
• 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
• 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
• 1/4 cup raisins
• 1/4 cup maple syrup
1. Combine pineapple, coconut, walnuts, raisins, and maple syrup. Pulse in a food processor about five times. Return to bowl.
2. Stir in pureed carrots.
3. Spread mixture 1/4-inch thick onto the fruit roll-up trays that go with your dehydrator. Dehydrate according to your machine's directions for fruit leather, typically 8 hours, or until fruit leather is no longer shiny or tacky.
1. Preheat the oven to 150 F.
2. Spread the mixture onto a silpat on a cookie sheet 1/4-inch thick for up to 12 hours, until fruit leather is no longer shiny or tacky.
3. Cut finished fruit leather with a pizza cutter and roll it up with waxed paper. Enjoy!
Rachel is a gardener, beekeeper, wife & mother of three wild and crazy boys, and lover of all things homesteading. Visit greenpromisegrows.com to see more!