Inspired by my mom's famous carrot cake, I came up with this yummy, carrot cake, fruit leather recipe. It's got the sweetness, spice, and textures of a classic carrot cake without all the calories, and it's totally transportable. It's a great snack and a great gift. Your house will smell fantastic, too!
Prep: 20 min
Dehydrator Time: 8-12 hours (depending on your machine or if you use your oven instead)
• 1 20oz can crushed pineapple
• 1 cup steamed and pureed carrots
• 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
• 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
• 1/4 cup raisins
• 1/4 cup maple syrup
1. Combine pineapple, coconut, walnuts, raisins, and maple syrup. Pulse in a food processor about five times. Return to bowl.
2. Stir in pureed carrots.
3. Spread mixture 1/4-inch thick onto the fruit roll-up trays that go with your dehydrator. Dehydrate according to your machine's directions for fruit leather, typically 8 hours, or until fruit leather is no longer shiny or tacky.
1. Preheat the oven to 150 F.
2. Spread the mixture onto a silpat on a cookie sheet 1/4-inch thick for up to 12 hours, until fruit leather is no longer shiny or tacky.
3. Cut finished fruit leather with a pizza cutter and roll it up with waxed paper. Enjoy!
Rachel is a gardener, beekeeper, wife & mother of three wild and crazy boys, and lover of all things homesteading. Visit greenpromisegrows.com to see more!
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on modern homesteading, animal husbandry, gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE