Classic Caesar Salad
• 1 egg yolk
• 1 clove garlic
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 4 anchovies
• 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• Splash of water
• 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
• 1 head romaine lettuce, washed, dried and chopped
1. Make a dressing by combining egg yolk, garlic, lemon juice, mustard and anchovies in blender. Process until smooth. Gradually add oil and water to loosen. Transfer mixture to jar or bowl, and stir in Parmigiano-Reggiano.
2. Place lettuce in large bowl. Add dressing, and toss to combine.
3. Divide mixture evenly among four serving plates. Garnish each with croutons and additional Parmigiano-Reggiano, if desired.
Craving more fresh Italian recipes? Check out Farmhouse Style Italian Recipes.
Karen K. Will is editor of Heirloom Gardener magazine, and co-author, along with Editor-in-Chief Oscar H. Will III, of Plowing With Pigs and Other Creative, Low-Budget Homesteading Solutions (New Society Publishers, 2013).