- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 1 quart chicken stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a large stockpot. Add the onion, celery, carrot, potatoes, and squash, and cook for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in enough chicken stock to cover the vegetables, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender.
- Pour the soup into a blender, and blend until partially or completely smooth, depending on personal preference. Return soup to the stockpot, and add enough of the remaining chicken stock to reach desired consistency.
- Heat on low until soup is warmed through. Season with salt and pepper. Serve piping hot.
Enjoy winter squash in all of your favorite recipes by learning how to select the best vegetables and prepare them for friends and family. These squash are healthy and loaded with nutrients and have a more dense texture than summer squash making them ideal for soups, stews and other recipes perfect for the colder months.