21-Day Sugar Detox (Victory Belt Publishing, 2013), by Diane Sanfilippo, BS, NC, is a go-to guide to kick your sugar cravings. Sanfilippo, is a nutrition consultant and New York Times best-selling author whose writings have focused on whole food, paleo, and anti-inflammatory diets. This excerpt is of a quick and easy breakfast muffin that opts for high-protein over high-carb.
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup Tessemae’s Wing Sauce, divided, or 1/4 cup other clean ingredient hot sauce* and 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 12 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions (scallions)
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Prepare 12 cups of a muffin tin with parchment paper muffin cup liners.
- Arrange the chicken on a baking sheet and season with the granulated garlic, salt, and pepper. Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through.
- Working in a large bowl, shred the chicken by pulling the meat apart with 2 forks. Pour 1/4 cup of the wing sauce over the chicken and toss to combine.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, the remaining 1/4 cup wing sauce, green onions, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture into the muffin cups, filling them approximately halfway. Gently spoon about 1/4 cup of the shredded chicken into each muffin cup. Serve any extra chicken alongside the cooked muffins.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the muffins rise and become golden brown around the edges.
*If you can’t find Tessemae’s Wing Sauce, my favorite organic gluten-free hot sauce is from Arizona Gunslinger — chipotle habañero flavor — available online and in many specialty grocery stores and co-ops. Check out page 224 for more 21DSD-friendly brands of sauces and condiments.