Granny’s bread and butter pickles
• 1 gallon cucumbers, sliced
• 8 medium onions, sliced
• 1/2 cup coarse salt
• 1 cup water
• 2-1/2 cups sugar
• 2-1/2 cups vinegar
• 1 tablespoon mustard seed
• 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
• 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
1. In large bowl, place cucumbers and onions. Dissolve salt in water; pour over cucumbers.
2. Cover with ice; weigh down. Let stand 3 hours.
3. In stockpot, combine sugar, vinegar and spices; bring to boil.
4. Drain vegetables and add to pot. Bring back to just short of boiling; do not boil vegetables.
5. Pack into hot jars and process in water bath for 15 minutes.
Interested in more? Check out Recipe Box: Make Your Own Cookbook Plus Heirloom Recipes from Carol J. Alexander.
Carol J. Alexander is the author of Homestead Cooking with Carol: Bountiful Make-ahead Meals. She writes and gardens in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Emily still does a lot of the cooking.