This Blackberry Cobbler recipe is the ultimate summer dessert and pairs perfectly with a scoop of ice cream.
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 cups blackberries, washed and drained
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- Pinch plus 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/2 cup milk
- Cream or ice cream, optional
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In large saucepan, blend 1/2 cup sugar with cornstarch; add blackberries, butter, and pinch of salt. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until mixture begins to thicken and bubble.
- Remove from heat, and stir in lemon zest and juice. Spread mixture in bottom of an ungreased 8-by-8-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine flour with remaining sugar, baking powder, and remaining salt. With fork, cut in chilled butter until coarse crumbs form. Add milk, and mix to make a soft dough.
- Drop dough by spoonfuls over fruit mixture in pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden-brown. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve plain, or topped with cream or ice cream, if desired.
Check out these other Fresh Fruit Recipes.