Black Walnut Banana Bread Recipe
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1-1⁄2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄3 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped black walnuts, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas with a fork until mostly smooth. Blend in butter, egg, vanilla, and brown sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and ginger. Stir into banana mixture and mix to combine.
- Stir in 1⁄3 cup walnuts.
- Turn mixture into prepared loaf pan, and sprinkle with remaining walnuts.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for at least 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
More from American Heirlooms:• Get Crackin'
Make the most of black walnut season by gathering these common and overly produced nuts that possess high levels of omega-3’s and antioxidants. Praised for their use in food and medicinal recipes black walnuts have many different areas for positive use. Learn to make a delicious banana bread recipe with black walnuts, perfect for breakfast or a sweet snack.