Bison burgers with lots of toppings are quintessential summer cookout food.
• 2 pounds ground bison or lean ground beef
• 3 tablespoons chipotle pepper sauce, divided
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
• 6 slices pepper jack or Monterey Jack cheese
• 6 hamburger buns
• 6 slices red onion
• 6 slices tomatoes
• 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into slices
• 6 leaves lettuce
1. Prepare grill.
2. In large bowl, combine ground bison, 2 tablespoons pepper sauce and salt, and mix well. Shape into 6 patties.
3. In small bowl, combine mayonnaise and remaining pepper sauce, and mix well; set aside.
4. Grill patties over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or to desired doneness. Place cheese slices on burgers, and continue cooking just until cheese melts.
5. Spread mayonnaise mixture on each cut side of buns. Top bottom half with burger, onion slice, tomato slice, avocado slices and lettuce leaf. Cover with bun top. Repeat for remaining burgers.
Note: Try additional toppings, like crispy bacon, sautéed red onions or sliced pickles.
Find more summer recipes for Easy Outdoor Cooking.