- 1 pound mixed dry beans
- 1/2 cup onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- One 15-ounce can tomatoes (or fresh equivalent)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound kielbasa
- Parmesan cheese, to taste
- Soak beans overnight. Then, drain and simmer them for 1 hour in 3 quarts water in a large saucepan.
- Add all ingredients except kielbasa and Parmesan cheese. Simmer for another hour.
- Add kielbasa and simmer an hour more, or until beans reach desired doneness.
- Serve hot. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese when serving.
Bean Soup is good anytime. It can be eaten by itself or served with hot, buttered cornbread. The smell will fill the house, and it’ll be hard to wait until it’s done! It’ll taste as good as it smells. Yield: 15 cups.