Baked Cranberry-and-Walnut-Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe
- 2 small acorn squash, cut in half, seeds removed
- 2 cups whole cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons melted shortening
- Dash of pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Place a steamer rack inside a stockpot, and add water to just below the rack. Bring water to a boil. Place squash halves on rack and steam until tender, about 30 minutes. Place squash, cut side up, on a baking pan and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine cranberry sauce, shortening, pepper, and cinnamon; mix well. Stir in walnuts. Spoon mixture into hollow of squash halves. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cranberry mixture is heated through.
Enjoy winter squash in all of your favorite recipes by learning how to select the best vegetables and prepare them for friends and family. These squash are healthy and loaded with nutrients and have a more dense texture than summer squash making them ideal for soups, stews and other recipes perfect for the colder months.