- 1 pound bacon, divided
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 can (55 ounces) baked beans
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Reserve 3 to 5 slices bacon. Cut remaining bacon into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In large skillet over medium heat, add oil. Add onion and bacon pieces, and sauté, stirring often, until onions are caramelized and bacon is slightly crisp. Add beans, and stir to combine, scraping bottom of pan. (This helps add smoky flavor to the beans.)
- In medium bowl, combine ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Stir into bean mixture.
- Transfer bean mixture to bean crock or 9-inch baking pan, and cover with reserved bacon slices.
- Bake for 3 to 4 hours, or until beans reach desired consistency, cooking longer for thicker beans.
- As beans bake, excess fat may separate and rise to top. Remove beans from oven and use paper towels to remove excess fat. Return beans to oven.
- Serve hot. NOTE: Leftovers can be reheated or eaten cold, right out of the refrigerator.
FOR MORE, SEE BLUE RIBBON BAKED BEANS RECIPES.