21-Day Sugar Detox (Victory Belt Publishing, 2013), by Diane Sanfilippo, BS, NC, is a go-to guide to kick your sugar cravings. Sanfilippo, is a nutrition consultant and New York Times best-selling author whose writings have focused on whole food, paleo, and anti-inflammatory diets. This excerpt shares a recipe for delicious meatballs.
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 to 3 drops fish sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions (scallions)
- 1 teaspoon minced or grated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound ground pork or turkey
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds, for garnish
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the coconut aminos, fish sauce (if using), green onions, garlic, ginger, salt, and pepper. Add the meat to the bowl and mix to thoroughly combine with the seasonings. Form the meat into 16 1-ounce meatballs.
- Bake for 25 minutes on a rimmed baking sheet. Remove from the oven and garnish with white sesame seeds and lime wedges before serving.