Photo by Andrea Chesman
Yields 4 servings.
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh or pickled ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
- 8 cups halved, seeded, and sliced cucumbers (about ¼ inch thick)
- 1/2 cup roasted salted peanuts or salted roasted cashews, coarsely chopped
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, optional
In a salad bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mirin, soy sauce, sugar, ginger, and garlic. Whisk in the oil. Add the cucumbers, peanuts, scallions, and cilantro to the bowl, and gently toss. Serve immediately.
Check out more cucumber salad recipes here.
Andrea Chesman has written more than 20 cookbooks. She gives cooking demonstrations at events across the United States.