Arugula & Spinach Salad
Arugula and spinach are a perfect combination as the spinach balances out the spicy arugula. Both are extremely easy to grow in the garden and can even be grown year-round with a moderate season-extending setup, such as a cold frame or low tunnel, depending on your climate.
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 1 clove garlic, smashed
• 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 8 cups spinach and arugula, mixed
• Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated as garnish
1. In small cup, make a vinaigrette by combining oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, rosemary, sea salt and pepper. Whisk to emulsify.
2. Place spinach and arugula in large bowl. Add vinaigrette and toss, straining out garlic clove.
3. Divide mixture evenly among four serving plates, and garnish each with croutons and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Craving more fresh Italian recipes? Check out Farmhouse Style Italian Recipes.
Karen K. Will is editor of Heirloom Gardener magazine, and co-author, along with Editor-in-Chief Oscar H. Will III, of Plowing With Pigs and Other Creative, Low-Budget Homesteading Solutions (New Society Publishers, 2013).