Holiday Cake Delivery
Bernice Miller, Bonner Springs, Kansas, remembers a time when the Manor Bakery drivers stopped at your house, took orders for the special Manor Applesauce Cake for the holidays, and then delivered it — along with their other wares — to your home. She wonders if anyone has the recipe for the applesauce cake. "My mother saved her egg money to buy the applesauce cake for Thanksgiving, and their fruitcake for Christmas."
Shirley Giacopelli, Caro, Michigan, sent her favorite recipe for applesauce cake.
• 2/3 cup shortening, softened
• 3 eggs
• 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
• 1 cup packed brown sugar
• 1-3/4 cups thick unsweetened applesauce
• 1/2 cup water
• 3 cups flour
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1-3/4 teaspoons baking soda
• 1-1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon cloves
• 3/4 teaspoon allspice
• 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
• 1-1/2 cups broken nuts
• 1-1/2 cups cut-up dates and raisins
1. Preheat oven to 250 F. Grease and flour 9-by-13-inch baking pan; set aside.
2. In large bowl, cream together shortening, eggs and sugars. Add applesauce, and mix well. Stir in water, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and nutmeg. Blend in nuts and fruit.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until done.
Interested in more fun recipes? Check out Recipe Box: Sweet Potato Cake Recipe and More for cookie and cake recipes containing unusual dessert ingredients including navy beans.