My chickens are laying eggs like crazy. When the eggs start rolling around in the fridge, I make an angel food cake for my family. Light, slightly sweet, and not too hard to make, angel food cakes are a great summer dessert, especially accompanied by whipped cream and fresh fruit.
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
12 egg whites, or 1-1/2 cups egg whites in a carton
1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, and 3/4 cup of the sugar.
3. In a large bowl with an electric mixer set on high speed, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, and the salt until they form soft peaks. Drizzle in 3/4 cup of sugar, whipping until stiff peaks form.
4. Fold the flour mixture into the egg white mixture a little at a time with a rubber spatula. Spoon the cake batter into an angel food cake pan. Do not grease this pan.
5. Bake the cake for 30 to 35 minutes until it’s lightly browned.
6. Hang the cake upside down by setting it on an inverted funnel for 30 minutes. Run a knife around the outside and inside of the cake and gently shake it out onto a platter. Serve with fresh fruit and whipped cream.
Photo: Angel Food Cake With Strawberries Flickr/Christine Urias