For more, see Recipes for Colorful Canned Tomatoes
• 15 pounds red tomatoes, cored
• 2 medium yellow onions
• 2 Hungarian Hot Wax peppers, optional
• 3 celery hearts
• 1 large bunch parsley, leaves and stems
• 1⁄2 cup coarse salt
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon ground allspice
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon ground cloves
• 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1⁄2 cup butter
1. Coarsely chop tomatoes, onions, peppers, celery, and parsley. Place mixture in one large stockpot, or divide mixture evenly between two large, deep kettles. Add salt to stockpot, or divide salt evenly between kettles. Place over medium heat, cover, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 1 hour, or until all vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
2. Process mixture with sieve or food mill. Transfer puree to large kettle, and place over medium heat.
3. In medium bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, and black pepper. Gradually add mixture to kettle, beating with whisk. Add butter and whisk until smooth. Simmer over medium-low heat for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Pour hot soup into hot pint jars, leaving 1⁄2-inch headspace. Seal with new and sterilized lids and bands. Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
NOTE: When serving, add 1 pint of milk or water per pint of soup.