Deer Heart Barbecue Recipe
While deer heart has a mild, delicate flavor, it can stand up to the flavor of a well-chosen barbecue sauce.
- 1 venison heart
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup mild, white onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- Place heart in small slow cooker. Cover with water, any broth of your choice, or two cans condensed cream of mushroom soup mixed with water to make about 6 cups liquid. Cover, and cook on low for 6 hours. Chill heart, and then slice thinly.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and green pepper, and sauté until tender.
- Add heart slices to skillet, top with barbecue sauce, and heat thoroughly. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes, with grilled asparagus tips, pineapple slices, and sourdough or cornbread.
We prefer to use mild barbecue sauce in this recipe, because spicy sauce will overwhelm the heart’s delicate flavor. Serve barbecued heart over rice or with mashed potatoes, and with sides of grilled asparagus tips, pineapple slices, and sourdough bread or cornbread.
If this recipe whetted your appetite, click the link to find out more about the Do’s and Don’ts of Cooking with Deer Heart.
Bruce and Elaine Ingram are the authors of Living the Locavore Lifestyle, a book about hunting, fishing, and gathering food (with recipes). Contact them at BruceIngramOutdoors@Gmail.com.