I don’t know about y’all, but the holiday season is super busy for me. So dinner has to be quick and easy, and we need to eat on the leftovers for a few days.
My kind of meal is one where you can throw everything in one pot and stick it in the oven. Then I’m free to rush around the house chasing a toddler, folding laundry (and refolding it after said toddler decides to help), all while dodging the squished raisins and dog hair that have somehow accumulated on the floor since I swept last night. Seriously?The dog isn’t even in the house!
Anyway, back to dinner.
I cook everything in my dutch oven. From soup, to bread, even roast, this baby does it all. Knock on wood, I’ve yet to make something that we didn’t love. It just cooks everything so evenly!
This meal could not be any more simple and is really delicious! Plus we raised this beautiful bird in our own backyard!
1. Chop potatoes, carrots, and onions and toss in the bottom of the pot.
2. Place the chicken on top of this veggie bed.
3. In a bowl mix butter, rosemary, garlic, lemon zest, salt & pepper, then spread all over the chicken.
4. Leave the lid off and roast at 475 F for about 15 minutes for yummy, crispy skin. Then bump it down to 350 F for approximately 20 minutes per pound, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
5. Remove the bird from the oven and let it rest for about 10 minutes to trap in all of those juices.
6. If you have leftovers (hallelujah!) you can use them for chicken stock, chicken pie, chicken salad, chicken soup, chicken gumbo … The possibilities are endless!
This is a great recipe for upcoming Christmas dinners, or just a quickie for those rushed weeknights.
Hope you enjoy!!