Asian Ham Quinoa Bowl Recipe
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Dash of hot pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh snow peas in pods, stringy tips removed
- 1 cup coarsely chopped ham
- 1-1/2 cups cooked quinoa, white or tricolor
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, toasted
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, blend vinegar, soy sauce, broth, sesame oil, peanut butter, ginger, sugar, hot pepper flakes, and half the garlic with a wire whisk. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat cooking oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion, carrots, and celery, and stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Add kale and remaining garlic, and continue stir-frying for another 2 minutes. Add red pepper and snow peas, and stir-fry for 3 additional minutes. Stir in ham and quinoa, and cook for 4 minutes more.
- Serve quinoa mixture in individual bowls, topped with several spoonfuls of sauce, along with toasted coconut, peanuts, and cilantro.
Valerie Boese and her family live in northeast Nebraska, where they grow a wide variety of vegetables, herbs, and fruits. The family owns and operates TarBox Hollow Poultry.