This Carrot Cake Recipe with Pineapple puts a delicious spin on a homemade classic.
What’s the difference between a weanling and a yearling, or a farrow and a barrow? Country and city mice alike will delight in Julia Rothman’s “Farm Anatomy,” a charming illustrated guide to the curious parts and pieces of rural living.
Indulge in a slice of moist, spice-filled carrot cake. This homemade carrot cake contains a rich color and dense texture that will make it a favorite dessert after family meals. This Carrot Cake Recipe with Pineapple is excerpted from Farm Anatomy (Storey Publishing, 2011) by Julia Rothman.
This recipe contains crushed pineapple and orange zest, which makes the cake all the more flavorful.
2 cups sifted unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup oil
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups lightly packed, finely shredded carrots
8 ounces crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup toasted chopped walnuts
Cream cheese frosting
Toasted coconut, to garnish (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Thoroughly grease and flour a 9- by 13-inch baking pan.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, allspice, and nutmeg into a medium bowl.
3. Beat the oil, granulated sugar, and brown sugar in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the mixture, mixing just until batter is smooth and blended. Fold in the carrots, pineapple, and walnuts. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
4. Bake for 35 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
5. Cool the Carrot Cake on a wire rack.
6. Frost with cream cheese frosting when completely cool. Sprinkle with the toasted coconut if desired.
Find more great content from Farm Anatomy in the following articles.
Excerpted from Farm Anatomy, text and illustrations (c) by Julia Rothman, used with permission from Storey Publishing.
More than 150 workshops, great deals from more than 200 exhibitors, off-stage demos, inspirational keynotes, and great food!LEARN MORE