Offered by a naturopathic physician, this advice may help you alleviate the misery of spring allergies.
Los Angeles – Spring showers may bring May flowers, but for many, springtime brings the misery of allergies.
"People with seasonal allergies are especially sensitive to pollen and mold spores," says Dr. Holly Lucille, a naturopathic physician specializing in family medicine at Healing Within Healthcare in Los Angeles. "There are natural solutions to deal with the sneezing, stuffy nose, itchy eyes and all the other allergy symptoms that can come with the spring."
Having practiced in the natural health field for over 16 years,. Lucille has found that reducing exposure to allergens and using proven herbal formulas go hand in hand. "Dealing with seasonal allergies requires a comprehensive approach," she says. "I advise patients to take an herbal formula that's been clinically shown to soothe symptoms and provide safe and effective seasonal allergy relief. Herbal formulas work with the body and help patients avoid the side effects of prescription or over-the counter medications."
Lucille offers these 10 tips for natural allergy relief:
1. Go herbal. – Look for a formula with caper, olive leaf, black currant and Panax ginseng, like Seasonal Freedom™ from Enzymatic Therapy. It has been clinically shown to decrease the body's response to allergen triggers by up to 70 percent. This dietary supplement contains a 4-Seasons™ herbal blend that's fast-acting and delivers relief, without making you sleepy or jittery. For more details on Seasonal Freedom natural allergy relief go to this website.
2. Get your probiotics. – Because imbalances of intestinal flora are common for people who have allergies, probiotics may be a good choice. Probiotic comes from pro, which means 'for', and bios, which means 'life.' So probiotic literally means "for life." Probiotics are the good bacteria, such as Lactobaccillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium longum that live in our intestines and are essential for the maintenance of strong immune systems.
Getting your probiotics, whether in yogurt or in a supplement such as Acidophilus Pearls™, is a great way to boost total body immunity.
3. Stay hydrated. – Drinking lots of liquids helps to flush out mucus.
However, when you hydrate, you also need minerals to hold onto the water. Sodium maintains water balance outside the cells, while potassium, magnesium and calcium – all available in a good multivitamin with minerals – help maintain water balance inside the cells.
4. Nasal flushing. – Flushing with saline (salt) water can be an effective way to relieve sinus symptoms. It works by flushing out pollen and thinning out the mucus to help clear nasal passages.
5. Save exercise or yard work for the afternoon, since pollen counts are highest from 5 am to 10 am. If possible, delegate the yard work. If you must do yard work, use a pollen-filtering mask.
6. Monitor air quality and check pollen count reports. Rainy, cloudy and windless days usually have lower pollen counts. The best time to go outside is after a good rainfall – it helps to clear pollen from the air.
7. Keep your windows closed at home or in the car during high pollen days and take off your shoes when you come in the house. Much of the household dirt, dust, and allergens come from the bottom of shoes. Dust regularly.
8. Wash bedding in hot water (130°F) on a weekly basis. You will also want to wash any stuffed animals on a regular basis. If the stuffed animal is too delicate or too large for the washer, you'll want to put it in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer for 24-48 hours. This will help to kill dust mites.
9. Cover mattresses and pillows in zippered dust-proof covers. These allergen-impermeable covers help minimize the penetration of allergens.
10. Keep humidity levels low. Keep the air conditioning set at a lower temperature and reduce moisture around the home. Dehumidifiers will help reduce both mold and dust mites.
"By taking care to avoid pollen and using a natural sinus relief formula, a person with allergies can dramatically reduce their symptoms and the number of days they're out of commission," says Lucille.
For more information on Lucille's practice, Healing from Within Healthcare, visit the website.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on modern homesteading, animal husbandry, gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE