Easy last-of-the-garden recipe to use up end of season produce!
Ann Myers, of Carthage, Illinois, sends this last of the garden recipe for pickled vegetables, saying it is from an old cookbook from the House of Gurney that was published in Yankton, South Dakota. "I have no idea how old it is as it belonged to my mother, and I’m 82. So it has to have been around a long time," she writes.
• 1-1/2 gallons cabbage, cut fine
• 1/4 gallon green tomatoes, sliced
• 1/2 gallon green beans, boiled
• 1/2 gallon sliced cucumbers
• 1 gallon vinegar
• 6 dozen small cucumbers
• 1 gallon corn, boiled
• 2 tablespoons mustard seed
• 2 tablespoons black pepper
• 6 pods green peppers
Salt to suit taste. Mix well and cook slowly for 1 hour, then seal.
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on modern homesteading, animal husbandry, gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE