It's summertime again, and that means more time outside tending to the animals, gardens, lawns and just having a good time. Which inevitably leads to more scratches, scrapes and bug bites. This Summertime Salve is our favorite here at One Ash for all those summer "ouches." It's easy to make, so try it out!
Summertime Salve from One Ash Farm Recipes
1/2 cup dry comfrey leaves
1/2 cup dry plantain leaves (if plantain is unavailable you can substitute calendula)
1 1/2 cups olive oil
5 teaspoons beeswax pastilles or beads, more or less to desired consistency
Rosemary, lavender, or other essential oils
(*dried comfrey and calendula are available through our store at One Ash Farm and Dairy Supply Co.)
– Start by making an infusion with the olive oil and dried herbs.
You can do this by heating the oil and letting the herbs sit in the hot oil for 3 to 4 hours, or you can make a stronger infusion by putting the herbs and oil in a covered jar and leaving it on your counter top for 2 to 3 weeks. The oil will turn a rich green color as it absorbs the herbs.
– Pour the infused oil through a fine mesh cheesecloth, into a small mason jar, to remove any stems or residue.
– Add the beeswax pastilles. If the oil is hot, then just stir until the beeswax is melted. If not, put the jar of strained oil into a pan of water and heat over a low temperature until the beeswax is melted. (I use a disposable wooden skewer to stir so that I don't have to worry about clean up!). You can add more pastilles for a firmer salve, less for a softer one.
– Add 20 to 30 drops of rosemary or other essential oil and mix thoroughly. I like rosemary because it adds to the anti-inflammatory properties of this salve. Lavender is also a good choice for its healing properties.
– Pour your completed salve into a container of your choice.
This salve will keep for several weeks at room temperature, and for several months if you keep it in the refrigerator!
Visit One Ash Farm and Dairy Supply Co. for your farm and homestead needs!
Sit in on dozens of practical workshops from the leading authorities on modern homesteading, animal husbandry, gardening, real food and more!LEARN MORE