- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups hot water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups golden raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Peel and pulp from 1/4 orange, ground
- Peel and pulp from 1/2 lemon, ground
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- 3-1/2 cups flour
- 1 pound gumdrops (no black)
- 3/4 pound pitted dates, chopped
- 1 cup pecans, chopped and browned in butter
- Heat oven to 250°F. Grease loaf pans; set aside.
- In large saucepan, combine brown sugar, hot water, shortening, raisins, salt, eggs, cinnamon, peel and pulp from orange and lemon, and lemon juice. Boil together for 5 minutes; cool.
- In large bowl, mix together baking soda, water, flour, gumdrops, dates and pecans.
- Stir together the two mixtures. Pour into prepared pans and bake 2 to 3 hours. Let cool before serving.
Recipe Box: Desserts and More
Nancy Zimmerman, Cape May Court House, New Jersey, sent her Gumdrop Cake recipe version from The Beverly Lewis Amish Heritage Cookbook.