I haven’t written in forever it seems. My usual excuse….we’ve been busy. It’s no excuse for not writing but it’s the only one I have! I have plenty to share so you’ll be seeing a variety of topics in the near future. Just a teaser…we scalded and scraped our hogs, OH MY!!
I figured a perfect return topic would be exactly what my title says. The New Wish Book: Grit Magazine. The girls still enjoy looking at the ToysRUs book at Christmas time but every month they are more excited to see Grit in the mail. Even before I get to look at it the oldest is paging through with her sisters at her side, standing in the kitchen saying “Mom, look. Mom, we need this. Mom, Dad could do that. Mom, you could do this. Mom, we could do that. Mom. Mom. Mom.”
Hopefully the day comes that we can have our own farm and then the girls can have SOME of everything that they want. We keep telling them to save their money, they are going to need it with the wish list they have. So far here’s the list:
- A Milk Cow – Regularly I joke that I need a cow because of the amount of milk they drink. Aurora is the leader of this band wagon and the other morning when we ran out of milk (I was going to the store anyway) she argued that if we had the cow we wouldn’t have run into that problem. She was as serious as serious could be.
- Goats – Eliza is behind this one. She bought goat milk soap at the Mother Earth News Fair and loved it. Seriously, the stuff is amazing and even Chad tells everyone that it is great. Liza says that it would be a good thing for us to make and she read that the milk is good to drink. We’ll be our own variety dairy mart with cow and goat milk!
- A Maple Sugar Camp
- More Chickens
- Bees – They aren’t fans of store bought honey.
- Turkeys – Royal Palms to be exact.
- More Hogs – They may get their wish on this one.
- Our Own Cattle – They like the Highlands, Herefords, long horns, and short horns. Oh and don’t forget the miniature cattle too.
- A Bigger Garden – Apparently we didn’t plant enough cucumbers, lettuce, or turnips last year and we forgot the brussel sprouts and yellow squash. The size of the garden is not a problem. I could fix the cucumber and turnip issue without increasing the size of the garden. They would have to quit eating them while they are picking them.
- Fruit Trees – We have crab apples and pears but they want big apples and oranges. We can work on the apples but the oranges would take a miracle!
- Horses – Here again we have it down to certain breeds. Belgians or black percherons.
The list continues to grow every day. We discuss each addition including things like the responsibilities, supplies, feed, and so on that is associated with owning whatever we are talking about and if need be, why it wouldn’t be possible to have it. There’s no need to quickly reply no. Who knows there might be two Belgians residing in the barn one day!
Well I’m off to make some bread bowls for tonight’s asparagus soup. We are also blessed with three girls that love to eat everything and anything and don’t have to have chicken nuggets in order to survive. By the time they are teenagers and have *gasp* boyfriends, we will have to butcher 2 beef, 3 hogs, and a gazillion chickens!! Have a great day!