Like any good chicken or duck 'mother', I pride myself in thinking I understand for the most part what our chickens and ducks are trying to tell me by the different clucks, growls, shrieks and quacks they use.  If you spend enough time around them, you will come to recognize a low throaty cluck of a broody hen, the sort of growling sound when they spy a hawk, the high-pitched chirp-chirp of a lost chick, and the Morse code-like chatter of the ducks when they're excited.

While I would never claim to be able to communicate with them on every level, their body language also helps convey their message and between the sounds they make and their expression, we seem to be able to get our messages across to each other at least most of the time.

gregory closeup

So when Gregory, our Pekin drake, came over this morning while I was filling the ducks' pool and started chattering away, I assumed he was just excited about having a clean pool, so we 'chatted' about it for awhile with him getting more and more worked up by the minute....well, imagine my surprise when I glanced over my shoulder to see the run gate had swung partway open and all the chickens were escaping!

Escaping chickens

As I ran to get them back into the run, I swear Gregory waddled away, completely disgusted by my failure to communicate with him.  And yet again, I was humbled and reminded how much I still have to learn about our backyard flock.

6/12/2012 1:31:32 AM

what a tattle tail! I love it! We just (7 weeks ago) got a batch of ducks. My husband and I both grew up with them and they're such a joy to have in our life. Happy quacking!

5/21/2012 2:48:20 PM

Lisa, I had to smile about your post entry. I try to communicate with birds and animals as well. I talk to them and tell them that I don't mind if they eat some of the garden produce but just don't get greedy or they will be banished for sure. They usually sit there and stare at me while I'm talking and the birds always have head movement to the side that gives me the impression that they are tentatively listening. I could be wrong but I believe that birds and animals can understand mostly by body language and the tone of the voice. Only 7% of communication is in the words we speak so the other 93% can be used to communicate to other species, don't you think? Have a great inter species communication day.

5/19/2012 1:32:28 AM

We have several variety of ducks and love them all!

Live The Good Life with GRIT!

Grit JulAug 2016At GRIT, we have a tradition of respecting the land that sustains rural America. That's why we want you to save money and trees by subscribing to GRIT through our automatic renewal savings plan. By paying now with a credit card, you save an additional $6 and get 6 issues of GRIT for only $16.95 (USA only).

Or, Bill Me Later and send me one year of GRIT for just $22.95!

Facebook Pinterest Instagram YouTube Twitter

Free Product Information Classifieds Newsletters