As I sit at my computer on this cold winter's day, I seem to be making quite a few observations. I thought I would share them with you!
- We had a very merry Christmas here at Green Eggs & Goats! We dodged a bullet last night by not being hit with the worst of the storms, and for that we are truly blessed! We were even rewarded with a little snow this morning (a rare event indeed in Alabama!)
- Apparently, although, my goats run for the barn at the first raindrop, standing in the snow doesn't bother them! We never got any snow last year for me to observe that!
- My ducks aren't as crazy as I thought! Generally, although they have plenty of places to seek shelter, they prefer just to paddle around the pond at night, or at least any time we try to herd them toward the barn. They also lay their eggs wherever they darn please. Well, last night we had particularly stormy, nasty weather, and this morning, lo and behold, there were 2 ducks eggs in the nest boxes in the barn, exactly where they belong! Score! We'll see how long that lasts.
- The mud pit is back. Our pasture turned into an absolute mud pit last winter. We purchased the house in the summer, so we had never really thought of what it might be like during other seasons. Last winter, the pasture turned into an absolute mud pit! We still had hope that the mud was due to excessive rain, and was an isolated event. Well, it's winter again, and the mud is back. On the bright side, our pond is completely filled again!
- I need new rain boots! My parents bought me some last Christmas and I just loved them, but apparently, I wore them just a tad more than the manufacturer intended. By spring, they were no longer waterproof. I am now looking at more heavy-duty options. Maybe Muck Boots like these, what do you think?
- My chickens seem to have roundworm. I am currently researching natural options for worming them. It is always something around here!
- My final observation of the day is that I need to fill our propane tank! Our house has a propane fireplace insert in the living room, and a wall heater in my computer room. The tank was empty when we moved in, and we managed last winter without filling it, but this is shaping up to be a much colder winter here in Alabama, and I may just need some auxiliary heat!
That's all for now! I hope you all had a very merry Christmas, I can hardly wait to see what 2013 holds for us. It is already looking like it will be a year of fun and changes for us!