Here at Green Eggs and Goats, it seems to always be feast or famine when it comes to eggs. We never seem to just have a constant supply. Over the weekend, we found 2 clutches of hidden eggs, so I have those in a bowl on the counter. While I believe them to all be perfectly fine and they all sunk in water, I would not sell these. I crack them into a separate cup before mixing them with others just in case one is older than I thought.
A bowl of Cayuga duck eggs
(no they aren't dirty, they just lay grey, streaky eggs)
At the same time, my ducks and hens seem to have decided that they want to pick back up their laying! The current count on my counter is 33 eggs, and I'm completely out of egg cartons! While I am ecstatic about the sudden influx of eggs, it can occasionally leave me feeling a little overwhelmed, so that is why I decided to make this list of possible uses for the eggs!
My Ceremic Egg Holder Overfloweth
When you have eggs coming out your ears, you basically have 8 choices:
- Sell them. Research a fair price, don't try to undersell or oversell your market!
- Eat them. More about that in a minute.
- Freeze them. I'll admit that I've never done this, but I know others do it various ways. You do have to crack them into something else first, but they say it works. Google it.
- Give them away. Your friends and neighbors will love you forever!
- Feed them back to your chickens. Eggs are an excellent source of protein for your flock, just boil them up, crush them shell and all and take them too the birds. They will love you forever too.
- Hatch them. OK, I don't currently hatch my own eggs, but this might be a great option for some, especially if you keep just one breed, or if you keep your chickens separated by breed.
- Let them sit around and go bad. BAD option. Don't do this one! Use those eggs!
Admittedly, some of those options are better than others. Let's talk more about my favorite option, eating them! Sometimes we have to be creative and use our eggs in meal after meal without feeling like we are in an eggs eating rut. Here are some great food ideas that use up a lot of eggs, and an estimate of how many eggs it will use up, although I suppose it depends on how many people you are cooking for!
Eggs, Eggs, Everywhere!
They are even trying to take over my fruit bowl!
I'm sure there are a million other recipes for using up eggs, these are just some things I'm thinking about cooking. What about you? What do you like to cook with eggs?
Thanks for stopping by! If you like what you read, please check out our
Green Eggs and Goats
"like" us on Facebook