Sharon Whitney, Kennewick, Washington, is looking for a recipe she remembers preparing in the early 1980s. It was a rice dish that also included beef, onions, bell peppers and possibly mushrooms. She says her entire family loved it, which wasn't an easy feat.
Several readers suggested that the description is similar to Spanish Rice. Found in our recipe archives were two recipes; this one was printed in 1988.
Recipe for Spanish Rice
• 2 medium onions, chopped
• 1 small green pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 pound ground chuck beef
• 1 can (10.5 ounces) condensed tomato soup
• 1/2 cup water
• 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• Pinch of dried basil
• Pinch of dried oregano
• 2 cups hot, cooked rice
• 1 small can pimiento, cut up
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In skillet, cook onion and green pepper in butter until soft, about 3 minutes. Add beef and cook until lightly browned.
3. Stir in soup, water, vinegar, salt, basil and oregano; blend well. Stir in rice and pimiento.
4. Turn into 2-quart casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes.
More from Recipe Box:
Recipe Box: Lemon Meringue Pie and More
Associate Editor Jean Teller hopes to one day replicate those delicious lemon meringue pies her mom used to create.