Nancy Kenney, Adams, Massachusetts, requested a recipe for a bean and sausage soup that includes kale in the ingredients.
Several readers responded with the suggestion that the recipe might be a Portuguese Kale Soup, and Sam Leach, Hermann, Missouri, sends along this delicious Portuguese Sausage and Kale Soup Recipe.
MORE FROM RECIPE BOX:
Recipe Box: Portuguese Sausage and Kale Soup and More
• 1 bunch kale
• 1/2 head green cabbage
• 2 cans (15 1/4 ounces each) dark red kidney beans *
• 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 pound linguica sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick (a smoked, slightly spicy Portuguese sausage with garlic and paprika) **
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 6 to 8 cups chicken stock or 6 to 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
• 1 pound red potatoes, diced
• 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
• 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
• 3 bay leaves
• 1/8 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
• Coarse salt
• Fresh ground black pepper
* Cannellini or navy beans can be substituted.
** Turkey kielbasa or a mild Italian sausage can be substituted.
1. Wash kale under running water. Strip from tough stem, coarse chop and set aside.
2. In food processor, using medium shredder blade, shred cabbage. Drain and rinse beans.
3. In large stock pot, heat olive oil; add sausage, chopped onion and minced garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until onion is transparent.
4. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
5. Adjust chicken stock as needed for desired consistency.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste, remove bay leaf and serve hot with a coarse bread.