• 4 ounces ripe Romadur 60% (Belgian soft cheese), rind removed, or cream cheese
• 4 ounces ripe Camembert (French soft cheese) or Brie, rind removed
• 4 ounces butter, softened
• 1⁄2 cup minced onion
• 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
• 1 teaspoon spicy Hungarian paprika
• 1⁄2 teaspoon ground caraway
• 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1 to 2 tablespoons beer
1. In bowl, mash cheeses and butter together. Add onion, paprika, caraway, salt and pepper, and mix well. Stir in enough beer to achieve desired spreading consistency.
2. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours to let flavors meld together. Serve with additional onion, pretzels, bread and beer.
NOTE: For a smoother spread, blend all ingredients except onion in food processor, and then stir in minced onion.
Check out more traditional German recipes.