• 3 eggs
• 1/2 cup margarine, softened
• 1 cup flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 1/4 cups sugar
• 3 tablespoons cocoa
• 1 cup chopped nuts
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
• 2 1/4 cups coconut
• Dark chocolate, melted, optional
1. Heat oven to 350 F.
2. In bowl, mix together eggs, margarine, flour, salt, sugar, cocoa, nuts and vanilla.
3. Pour and spread mixture evenly into 9-by-13-inch pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
4. In another bowl, mix sweetened condensed milk with coconut. Spread evenly over cooked bar mixture in pan, and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Cool completely, and then top with melted chocolate, if desired.
Interested in some more special treats for Thanksgiving and Christmas? Whip up some of the homemade delights featured in Recipe Box: Holiday Candy Recipes.
Associate Editor Jean Teller is sure she’s not the only one to consider the candy and desserts one of the best – and certainly the most tasty – parts of the holiday season.