In This Book Cooks, by Kerry Dunnington, readers will discover creative, classic and irresistible recipes for everyday eating and entertaining. Recipes include useful and inspiring introductory material further enhanced by stories drawn from the author's life experiences in cooking, dining and serving.
The idea for this recipe came to me when I had too many ripe mangoes in my fruit basket. The combination of mango and the aromatic cardamom made for a delicious taste-treat dessert.
Mango Cake with Cardamom Recipe
• 1 cup bite-sized mango pieces
• 1/2 cup raspberry-cranberry juice
• 2 eggs
• 2/3 cup sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 4 tablespoons butter, melted
• 1/4 cup neutral oil
• 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
• Confectioners’ sugar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Generously oil a 10-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
3. Distribute mango evenly in the bottom of the baking dish and pour raspberry-cranberry juice over the mango.
4. In a large bowl, beat eggs and gradually add sugar. Beat until well combined. Add vanilla, butter and oil and beat until well combined. Add flour and cardamom and stir until fully blended. Spoon batter over mango — the mango will show through in some places; cooking will distribute the batter.
5. Bake for 20 minutes or until light brown and bubbly.
6. Allow the cake to cool, then dust with confectioner’s sugar if desired.
More from This Book Cooks: Marinated Beef Tenderloin Recipe
Reprinted with permission from This Book Cooks by Kerry Dunnington and published by Artichoke Publishers, 2015.